Scott Brothers Heating install, repair and service Gas Fired Boilers
Buying and installing a new gas boiler is not something people tend to do everyday so it can be a little confusing deciding which gas boiler you need.
We have tried to make it a bit easier for you buy outlining the differences between the different gas boiler types available.
Combi Gas Boiler - This type of gas boiler uses the mains water pressure to power hot water across the property. This hot water is used in both your central heating system and is available from hot water outlets like showers and taps. The water is heated by the boiler when it is needed, meaning that hot water is available "on demand" without the need to store it in a hot water tank or cylinder. The lack of hot water cylinder makes the Combi boiler more appealing for small to medium sized properties as you don't need a large cupboard to store your water tank.
Regular "heat only" gas boilers - This type of gas boiler provides heat for your central heating system only, however you can use it alongside a hot water cylinder and cold water feed to provide hot water for outlets like your bathroom (shower, baths) and kitchen (taps). A lot of traditional UK homes are setup to use a regular boiler and they are also popular in properties where demand for hot water is a little bit higher.
System gas boilers - Think of this as a space saving version of the regular natural gas boiler. Again, it provides heat for your central heating system only and can be used alongside a hot water cylinder to provide hot water for outlets like your bathroom (shower, baths) and kitchen (taps) but the main benefit is that it doesn't need a cold water feed or cistern as a lot of the internal elements required are built into the boiler.
Benefits of Gas Boilers
- In most areas the cost of natural gas is relatively cheap and the prices tend to remain relatively stable unlike oil which is subject to market fluctuations.
- Maintenance costs for a natural gas fuelled boiler are low.
- Natural gas is convenient. You don’t need to have a storage tank on site and you don't need to check the fuel levels or schedule for gas deliveries.
- Natural gas also heats water faster than electricity. This adds to its convenience.
- Gas is dependable - supply is not disrupted when demand runs high.
- Natural gas is one of the cleanest fuels available for boilers. It doesn’t generate dirty emissions like coal or oil and you don’t get unpleasant odours when natural gas burns.
- Emission of greenhouse gases is lower with a natural gas boiler.
- The initial capital investment for a natural gas fuelled boiler can be expensive especially if gas isn't available in your area and the infrastructure needs to be set up to pipe it in.
- Concerns over safety discourage some homeowners from natural gas boilers. Should a gas leak occur, it could create explosions and serious problems.
Get A Free Gas Boiler Service, Repair or Installation Estimate
We are more than happy to give advice on which gas boiler is most suitable for your needs, depending on your usage, property and location. Why not ask us to view your property and discuss the various options with you now. Our advice is free!